Just this ARTwalk alone, artists are responsible for:
- The Skyway Art Installations: Artists have joined together with JTA to include art installations at every Skyway stop. Not only will this help to make your commute a little brighter but it also raises awareness of our city’s Skyway service therefore increasing usage and hopefully one day expanding the service which will benefit the entire city by improving transportation and generating revenue.
- The Holiday Window Displays in Downtown. Again, not only does this make your walk along the streets of downtown a little brighter but it brings people to downtown, which in turn generates revenue for local businesses and in turn generates revenue for our city and keeps people employed and happy.
- And of course, just Art Walk in general brings thousands flocking the streets of our urban core to see hundreds of artists, thousands of pieces of art, and dozens of live performances by musicians, dancers, poets, and so on. Again, another example how artists share their time, talent, and resources to benefit our great city.
Many people don’t realize the amount of work, training, dedication and money that is involved in being an artist. One artist can spend hundreds to thousands of dollars just to create, frame, display, and market their art for an art show for the masses to enjoy, but the artist is often left holding the bill. As a community, we can change and empower our artists to become great, to prosper from the very gift that blesses so many, and to become successful at what they know how to do best: CREATE ART and in turn continue to generate the benefits our community receives from a thriving art scene such as:
- enliven communities
- inspire and enlighten people everyday
- create & maintain jobs
- increase tax revenue
- stimulate tourism and growth
So the answer to the previous question: Do you know what artists are doing to your city?! is: They are making your city a better place to live 🙂
Don’t miss out tomorrow, December 1st, 2010, for Downtown’s First Wednesday ARTwalk. Be sure to stop by either TAC location for our special GUESS WHO?! A fundraiser to benefit participating artists & TAC. and to raise awareness of the importance of artists in a community.
35 artists are participating in this event and over 300 entries have been submitted. All works are on paper, either approx. 4″x6″ for $20 or approx. 8″x10″ for $50. These will make perfect unique gifts that can fit in anyone’s price range. Each piece is done anonymously & signed on the back, the identity of the artist is kept secret till the purchase is made, hence the Guess Who?! part 🙂
Works will be available for sale during December 1st WEDNESDAY ARTwalk from 5P-9p (at both locations 31 W. Adams & 229 N. Hogan) or join us for the opening reception SATURDAY, December 4th from 6P-9P at TAC II Studios located at 229 N. Hogan.
THANK YOU TO ALL THE ARTISTS WHO CONTINUE TO PUSH THROUGH ALL THE OBSTACLES AND CONTINUE TO FIND WAYS TO CREATE AND TO ALL WHO HELP BRING AWARENESS & SUPPORT TO OUR THRIVING ART SCENE.